Wednesday 4 July 2012

Home Sweet Home



I am the kind of person that really attaches myself to the nest.  Whenever my husband, Ian, and I have moved into a house that we have bought, I decorate it as if it will be our only "Home Sweet Home".  It is probably a little stressful for hubby, because I usually need to arrange the furniture a dozen times before it is just right!

After having bought and sold homes four times, I really wanted to stay in one spot for the duration.  So we bought six acres in a rural setting.  It came complete with marauding deer, black bears, raccoons, cougar and wolves to name the larger visitors. We never saw the wolves - but we heard them!  Thinking we could not have children we had a small character house, slated to be demolished, moved onto the raw land. Naturally, being the smallest place we had bought, yet, the babies started to come.  So, we moved on another character house to join onto the first!

Meantime my garden was struggling due to busyness on my part; but, I believed there was lots of time ahead, as our three children would not be small forever.  I wanted to make our nest a cozy, loving and nurturing one.  The garden and writing took back seat.  Just when I was able to really get into the garden again, after 16 years of just maintaining our place, stuff happened.  We needed to move.  We were not going to grow old together with our plum trees lining the driveway and with the fir floors marked from tricycle tires. Ian and I would grow old together in town.  

But, you know what?  Our new place was equally loved by its former owner, too.  Janet's son is a landscaper and he practiced on this .77 acre garden.  So while I was raising babies at the old nest, our future place was being planted with ferns, hosta, peonies, roses, rhododendrons, azaleas, lilies, maples, blueberries and more... The new nest also has all of the character of our old one.  Instead of tricycle tire marks on the fir floors, I found some toddler footprints stamped under a chair. Janet wanted someone who loved to garden to buy the place; that's me all the way!

I cried as I drove away from our previous abode.  It was a brief falling of tears because I had in mind another location that I would never have to leave.  None of the places we live in on this earth are permanent. The Lord has promised that He has gone to "prepare a place for us" - a place I can hang up my  "Home Sweet Home" sign forever.  In the meantime the sign looks great in the new dining room.

Moved in and loving it,
Wendy

P.S. I'll post a photo of my vintage "Home Sweet Home" sign next week!

2 comments:

  1. Is the last picture of your house now? Love it! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it is our current home. The flower garden in the foreground is one that we put in. We call it our memory garden since it is filled with plants we brought from the old place. I took a lot of cuttings and divisions. The previous owner comes to visit and encourages me. She is really sweet. Wendy

      Delete