Friday 20 July 2012

The Gift of Art

Painting by my Mom with quilt she made on the chair.  
Growing up in the home of an artist has given me an extraordinary interest and appreciation for all things creative.  I am so thankful for the beauty that my Mom brought into our home.  She painted pictures of all sorts.  She sewed everything from clothing to curtains.  She made lovely flower gardens which supplied our table with fresh bouquets. Mom made me proud to have a guest in our home.  Even now, I am truly inspired every time I visit her.  Because she loves antiques - visiting her is like going to a museum.  It has been said of our place, too.  I guess, I paid attention in that class...       

Quilted wall-hanging by Mom.  Painting on left from thrift store.  

I want to carry on the theme of making a cosy home in this post.  What better way to add cosy than by adding beauty? And what better way to add beauty than by adding art?  Art is not limited to just things you hang on a wall.  When I spot antique books arranged on a shelf; I consider this a masterpiece, too.  One of my favourite sources of art is the thrift store.  The original oil painting hanging in the photo was a "must have"; I bought for about $5.00.  It suits our master bedroom perfectly.  Adding the warm and dark colours has made the room cosy for both of us.

Some favourite reads!

Sometimes just a print or card framed can be a touch of beauty.  It does not have to be original, just as long as it speaks to you.  After all, it's your home! 

Another thrift store bargain under $5.00 ~ I love it!

I am blessed to have several artists in our family.  This next painting is one my favourite cousin did.  It graces our downstairs office.  I have many delightful pieces of her art in our home.  Having family history in your decorating adds coziness.

Rhona's Painting

I need to run downstairs (I'm in my studio) and check out my daughter's baking; fold some laundry; and have a cup of tea.  You can see why I love the teapots above: I love my afternoon tea!

Cosy Garden Art by yours truly...
Enjoying a cup of tea in our cosy home,
Wendy     

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Love the quilt your Mom made, the teapot thrift store find and your garden art! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My house has has a lot of lovelies that my Mom has made. She even gave me a sewing machine to encourage me to get back into sewing, six years ago, and it worked! I passed down mine to my daughter... ~ Wendy

      Delete